About the Shelter
Bishop Animal Shelter is a privately
run non-profit animal adoption shelter founded in 1958
by two special people - Edward E. and Lillian H.
Bishop. Their love and caring for animals
resulted in their establishing the Bishop Animal
Shelter. The land comprising almost 40 acres was
formerly a citrus grove owned by the family. It
was decided by the Bishops to be the perfect place for
the increasing number of homeless dogs in the county.
The building was designed specifically for
unwanted, stray and abandoned animals and contrary to
what many people believe, never was a home for
people. Funding for the building and operation
of the Shelter comes through a Foundation endowed by
the Bishops. No city, county, state or federal
funding is involved in its operation.
The Shelter opened in June of 1958 by local
dignitaries including both Edward E. and Lillian H.
Bishop. It was considered state of the art for
an animal shelter at the time and this tradition
continues with the recent building of a $650,000
About the Bishops...
Both Edward E. and Lillian H. were
born in Elyria, Ohio, and came to Bradenton on their
honeymoon in 1914. Arriving on their yacht they
quickly decided that they would make Bradenton their
winter home. Building a house on the banks of
the Manatee River was only the beginning of their
caring and commitment to the area.
The Bishop Planetarium at the South Florida
Museum was built with Bishop donations and both the
Manatee Players and the Manatee County Art League were
recipients of funding. Mrs. Bishop worked as a
volunteer nurse at the Bradenton General Hospital and
attended operations performed by Dr William D. Sugg in
the late 1940's and early 1950's. She donated
money to build and equip the Sugg Surgical Suite used
until 1968 at Manatee Memorial Hospital.
The legacy of their generosity and caring
continues today and the Bishop Animal Shelter is a
fine example. Their love of animals indeed lives
on and will, well into the future. The Bishops
owned dogs and Mrs. Bishop had a particular fondness
Indeed the squirrels and other wild animals can
roam the grounds where almost 1500 animals were
adopted into new homes in 1998.
The Shelter Grounds
|Walking paths abound on the grounds at Bishop.
People and their leashed dogs are welcome to use the paths, explore
the beautiful lush landscape and enjoy the open fields when the
shelter is open.
|The pond is home to resident turkeys, geese and ducks
as well as numerous migrating water fowl.